Thursday, July 22, 2010

1st day of school

Today was my first day at Eugene Field Elementary School. As a student teacher, that is. For only 6 short weeks with a very talented mentor teacher, and another co-student teacher who I really get along with. These next 6 weeks promise to be full of learning, exploration and enjoyment. Did I mention that Eugene Field is less than a block away from my house? I went home today during our lunch break after the amazing principal catered Padrell's barbeque for us for lunch. I found that Nina the pug had overturned both trash cans in the casita and chewed up and spit out a piece of styrofoam that much have tasted like the raw chicken it contained yesterday. I took Nina around the block, cleaned up the mess, and had a few minutes to myself before I walked back to the school. Tomorrow is registration. Maybe I will meet some of my students. I am excited for this opportunity to learn from my mentor teacher, and spend time at an excellent school, but the whole process of helping Tee set up his classroom has felt a bit bittersweet for me. If the program hadn't been cut, I would be setting up my own classroom at this time. Even though at times I feel sad that I won't get the intern experience, I believe this plan B of a year may turn out in my favor. I have more time and options, and I have always enjoyed being creative with how I structure my life. If I can manage to be flexible, maintain the drive and determination I feel now to obtain a teaching job (after student teaching) and work hard, this year may turn out much more fruitful than it would have if the program was not cut.

As they say in Esperanza Rising, "Aquantante un tantito y la fruta caerá en tu mano."

"Wait a little bit, and the fruit will fall in your hand."

No comments: