Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Mr. Voice

I'm feeling irked today about something that happened at school today. Another 5th grade teacher yelled at one of my students. I really dislike his manner with students. He yells. Flat out. I know he's really good at curriculum because he's on my team that I work with, but I disagree with how he treats students, especially mine! My class has P.E. with his, and I guess one of my students was saying to the other's "Mr. So-and-so is coming!" They are all afraid of him and warn each other against him. He starting yelling at one of my students because he heard her saying his name over and over. He got the P.E. teacher involved and they both confronted her asking her why she was saying his name. They basically ignored me and cornered her. I don't know what happened but I know that I didn't like the situation, and I know she didn't do anything bad, and that I don't agree that yelling in the faces of children is ever productive. I wished I would have stayed in the gym to figure it out, but it was time for my class to go to lunch. I left the gym and took the students to lunch and asked the student about it later. She said it wasn't a big deal, and that Mr. S0-and-so got angry for nothing. I believe it was language misunderstanding. She is dominantly Spanish speaking, and I don't think under the pressure of being yelled at, she could explain the situation to them in English. I felt she was taken advantage of my that teacher. I wish I would have stayed and mediated. Eh. I can't let this happen again.
Fine, if he wants to yell at his own students, but stay away from mine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He there! Nice blog and nice photo on the top:)